Saturday, July 07, 2007

In Praise of Friends

It occurs to me, after a great evening with an amazing group of people that are more family than just friends, that I am one of the luckiest people on Earth. I have my blood family back East, my extended family (by marriage (also back East)), and then I have my "surrogate" families out here on the West coast. It is not just one group of people - for how can we truly find everything that we need from just one individal, or just one group of people? It is many varied individuals that form a cohesive whole in my world, from which I draw my energyy, my inspiration, and my perseverence through the small setbacks of life.

It is through the mother of my daughter's best friend - who is battling a daily war with Leukemia, a blood borne cancer, yet who is THE most active volunteer at the childrens' elementary school. Her name is Kaia, and she is truly a wonder to behold. She gives everything of herself, and asks so little in return. She knows that there is no definitive cure for her cancer, yet she does not succumb - she LIVES!

It is Natasha - my dear friend and spirit sister. She is younger than I, but wiser in so many ways. She keeps me balanced - she is there every day to pick me up when I fall down - she is my rock.

It is Jennifer - my closest friend and soul sister. We have been friends since childhood when we were backdoor neighbors, and although months may sometimes go by between our conversations, the instant the first syllable is spoken, it is as if we never skipped a single moment.

It is Kim & Jeannie - sisters-in-law to each other - havens of the heart to me. They are my safe harbor; there are no boundaries that are taboo, and no earthly problems that cannot be overcome in their company.

It is Meigs and Caide - my heart, my soul, my reason for getting out of bed each day. My children keep me balanced and keep me sane - I live for them and I would die for them - it is as simple as that.

It is Rocky, my husband - he stands by me through my worst tirades, he picks me up from my lowest depressions. He is the energy that keeps my going even when reality comes crushing in from every side. He is the foundation that keeps me pursuing my dreams, and that motivates me to do everything that I can to help him achieve his dreams as well.

It is my Grandma Dottie, my Great Aunt DeeDee, Ruth, Mrs. Maxwell, and yes (maybe a childish thought, but even...) Elvis - my guardian angels. The ones that I ask for guidance through the darkness. The ones that represent my "gut instinct". The ones that help me go on when it feels like everything and everyone else has failed.

It is Mitch - the best boss that I have ever had, or ever will have. I admit that I have a little "hero-worship" for him - he believed in me when no one else did. He took me under his wing and taught me about the entertainment industry. He is, above all else, honest, respectable, and a man of his word who takes care of his team better than any other person that I have worked with before or since. I am forever in his debt.

It is life - to be embraced - to be challenged - to be LIVED!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kitty said...

So happy to see a new post up here.
Excellent entry about friends. I read a lot of blogs and it is strange, not a lot of people write about them and why they are so special.
You have an amazing set of people in your life, which is a pretty good indication that you are an amazing person yourself.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home