Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Excerpts...

...from I, Elizabeth:

(an excerpt from one of Elizabeth's lessons):
"The might of Rome in those days was so great that many evil men plotted to grasp for themselves the supreme sway. Among them was Catiline, a man of many virtues, but fallen to a great hunger and greed for power..."

(observations upon being summoned to court by her father, King Henry VIII):
"At the window, ...a small fly buzzed helplessly against the greeny glass. ...In a corner of the window frame a great black spider, its web newly spun, glistened for the fly. Sensing her peril, she flapped more frantically against the glass until at last, through her own fear, she tangled herself in the fatal threads. Now the spider uncranked his long black hairy legs and began to move up for the kill.

Domine, conserva me..."
----------------------

Hmmmm - sounds a little like daily life in the modern day Production arena (and a lot like a project that I worked on in the past). The best advice I can give is to not get into this industry if you don't have a thick skin. You will be praised and villified, exhalted and belittled, challenged and rewarded. It's a bit like being schizophrenic.

If the "top dog" (and industry darling) really sucks, you can bet your ass that they are going to hang everyone else out to dry rather than look themself in the mirror and admit that they just can't cut it - wasting millions upon millions of dollars, and ruining careers along the way. -- If the "leadership" couldn't find their ass with two hands and a flashlight, you better not try to help them navigate because that calls attention to the fact that they have no clue where they are going, or what they are doing, and they will crucify you for it. It's better to just watch the train wreck, or try to escape.

I'm not saying that everyone is an idiot, or that this industry consists of nothing but evil people just waiting for the opportunity to screw you over - but after 13 years "in the trenches", I have several battle scars that serve as witness to an interesting adventure. To be fair, I have worked with some great people over the years (even a few on that horrible project); and the current team that I'm working with, from top to bottom, is one of the best groups that I have EVER worked with (equal to the group that I worked with in live action television - an experience that I never thought could be matched). There are wonderful people in this industry that honestly want to help their fellow artists/crew members to be the best that they can be; that genuinely give a damn about you and your family; that make you smile at the thought of coming to work each morning. THAT is what keeps you going - even when you have to deal with the handful of idiots that never seem to go away or to get what they deserve.

Each day in this ball game will bring lots of unexpected "curve-balls", some good and some bad. You have to be quick on your feet, and ready to problem solve a million little things at once. Attention to the little details makes all the difference in the world - I REPEAT: Attention to the little details makes ALL the difference in the world - and as management/support, get ready to slog some shit (it's tops on the job requirement list!) If you don't want to slog shit, you should probably look elsewhere for employment. Lazy, self-important slugs need not apply... but if you are ready for adventure, and have your own shovel for slogging, climb aboard for the ride of your life!

------------

I've re-read some of my past "rant" blogs, and I realize that I sound like a major bitch. Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty friggin' jovial most of the time. I just have NO patience for assholes and injustice. I know that not everything is "equal" and "fair" in the "real world", but my gosh - wouldn't it be much easier to be nice to each other?
I don't have great industry skills/insights to offer (like MK), or great artwork to show (like MK, MC, RS, PB, etc), or great writing samples (like JA, TE, TR, RS), so... I vent my frustrations here amidst a hodge-podge of personal interests and attempts at creativity. Thanks for checking it out....

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil Walton said...

Sounds like you have a frustrating job at times. I find it interesting how sometimes the most incompetent can rise to such dizzying heights. Hmmm...
Keep up the interesting posts. I always enjoy what you have to say. Phil

5:10 AM  
Blogger Virg. said...

Thanks for the note!
It actually isn't the job that is frustrating - I LOVE my job; it is such a part of who I am as a person. I just get frustrated with specific people, and specific situations, just like anyone else. These same things happen in any work environment (banking, teaching, business, etc) - I just put a lot of faith in karma!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home