Saturday, August 12, 2006

Art & Passion

Man, I LOVE artists! I love being surrounded by them every minute of every day! I work with some of the most talented artists in the world at my job; my husband is an artist; a lot of my friends are artists - I wish that I was an artist! (I can manipulate things in Photoshop, but I can't create an original piece of art -- I couldn't draw a straight line out of a paper bag to save my life!). But really, the word "artist" covers more than just illustration, animation, graphic design, etc. - being an artist means having a vision, and doing everything that you possibly can to bring that vision into reality. (OK, maybe I could be considered an "artist" then).
Artists get me REALLY excited! (OK horn-dogs, that isn't what I mean!). There is such a great energy in the artistic community; such quirkiness; so much passion and so many eclectic views -- there is never a lack of stuff to talk about. That's part of the reason I chose this industry to work in. I'm way too funky and creative to put on a suit everyday and navigate the waters of "corporate America" - I'll take the shark infested waters of the trenches of the entertainment industry, thanks! Seriously - at the end of the day, even if it has been a really crappy day, I'm happy to have worked with the crews and on the projects that I'm working on. At the end of the day, it is the people and the experience that make you want to come back and do it all over again. At the end of the day, it is the creative process - the hope of something truly original and amazing - that makes the mundane stuff worthwhile!
I am humbled and honored to know (99.8% of) the amazing artists that I have worked with over the past 13 years in this industry. I have worked in Publicity, Television (both live action and animation), and Feature Films (both live action and animation). I've worked with some real jerkwads (don't get me started) on some fantastic projects, and some WONDERFUL people on some not so great projects, and a variety of other combinations inbetween. I'll always go for the experience being wonderful - at the end of the day, that's what is going to keep you going.

"I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art!" -Carrie Fisher

"Art is one thing that can go on mattering once it has stopped hurting" - Elizabeth Bowen (1899-1973)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home