Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Bits & Pieces

I'm reading (and re-reading) a plethora of things right now - it's hard to not get everything jumbled in my head sometimes! Currently perusing: "Making Movies" by Sidney Lumet - what an amazing book! This is the 3rd time that I will have read through it, and I pick up something new every time. "Film school in a book" is a pretty accurate description. It is a great refresher! (Thanks, Rock, for originally recommending it!) -- "Life Magic" by Susan Bowes - "The power behind "life magic" ...rests in its celebration of all that enriches life, with an emphasis on the importance of connections and relationships..." What a great little book that makes you think and discuss; "Hello, He Lied and other Truths from the Hollywood Trenches" by Linda Obst (Producer) - she has seen and done so much. This is a great book for an aspiring producer - stripping away the "rose-colored glasses" and presenting some of the real and challenging people & situations that might be encountered in this crazy industry; Cinefex 104 (King Kong/Chronicles of Narnia/Corpse Bride) - 3 fantastic movies that we can all learn so much from! I really admire everything that Peter Jackson has done (although I believe that he did some things with the "Lord of the Rings" films because he COULD, not because he SHOULD!) I would give my left arm to work directly with him and Richard Taylor! I fell in love with the ape Kong when I was a little girl, and my adoration has not diminished! This Kong is beautiful! His mannerisms are spot on for a silver-back gorilla, his transformation/humanity is so easily seen in his eyes & face, his "acting" (done by Andy Serkis with mo-cap and transformed to what we see on screen by the animators) is some of the best work that I have EVER seen! WOW - this film took my breath away! -- "...Narnia" was great - I loved it and so did my kids! I love seeing Kiran (one of the little people used in "Lord of the Rings" as a double for the hobbits) in a "face role". Even so, there were a few moments where I was taken out of the movie by the costumed characters in the battle. -- "Corpse Bride" was as quirky as ever a Tim Burton film has been. I loved the visuals (sets, character designs, etc.) even though I didn't quite connect with a few of the scenes (the bar song distracted -- and WHY could the main characters not easily return to the surface early in the film, and then later they seemed to have carte blanche? I prefer "Nightmare Before Christmas" - but still really liked "...Bride"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home